What is Skilled Nursing and Does My Child Require It?
Skilled nursing is a nursing and therapy approach that can only be safely and effectively performed by or under the supervision of, licensed professionals (Registered Nurses or Licensed Practical Nurses). It’s the type of healthcare given to a child that has a specialized need and requires a more in-depth and technical therapy to treat, manage, observe a condition, and evaluate progress.
Skilled nurses are experienced in the treatment and management of various conditions such as:
- Cerebral palsy management and treatment
- Diabetes management and treatment (Dexcom and Libre glucose monitoring)
- Seizure disorders
- Gastro tube feedings and total parenteral nutrition (TPN)
- Respiratory and cardiac conditions such as asthma exacerbation
- Chromosomal conditions, such as Down syndrome
- Brain disorders, including childhood stroke, to name a few
As a parent knowing your child is under the dedicated care of experienced, licensed professionals will give you the peace of mind to go to work or finish your educational goals. Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care (PPEC) facilities are medical daycares designed to care for your child in a nurturing environment that promotes optimal growth and improvement.
At First Kid’s PPEC, our nursing staff is dedicated to providing the best care for your medically complex child. For parents, there are many questions that come across when deciding what medical daycare to choose for your child. Questions such as:
- Will there be a routine for nursing care/therapies?
- Do the nurses have the knowledge and experience to care for my child?
At First Kid’s PPEC, your child will have all the skilled nursing care required by our licensed professionals alongside therapies such as speech, physical and occupational therapies as well as applied behavioral analysis (ABA). They will also be in an environment where they will grow socially alongside their peers. First Kid’s PPEC believes in individualized care plans as every child is unique in their own way. This belief ensures that each child is receiving care that has been designed specifically for them in an atmosphere they look forward to each day!